If your nonprofit organization serves school-aged children in Lawrence, MA, please join us on January 3rd from 9am through lunch for a meeting with school principles and local nonprofit leaders facilitated by Jeff Riley, Reciever, Lawrence Public Schools and Dave Welbourn, CEO ECCF. The meeting will be held in the Lawrence High School Field House.
Progress in restoring the quality and success of our schools depends on good integration of your work and ours. The goal is to give all school-age children a seamless community of services that will include your organization and dozens of other nonprofits, with close connections between schools and services and homes. LPS has many students who need your help, so we hope you will see this as a good way to grow your programs and connections.
This event affords community partners two opportunities to engage personally with all the LPS principals to hear their needs and tell them your ideas. First we’ll have a lot of quick and easy “speed dating” conversations with each other, and then after a break we’ll take time to have deeper conversations among those who have discovered some particularly good opportunities for collaboration. Lunch will be served at noon.
We have some funding and will add more to help worthy organizations add and expand services as opportunities arise from these conversations. Many doors will open January 3.
How the day will work:
- The goal: To connect your programs and Lawrence schools to extend learning time and programs for our students, in school and throughout the city, throughout the year.
- Your opportunity: All 32 Lawrence school principals will be there to learn about your programs for school-aged children and to talk with you about working together.
- Your role: Each nonprofit (YOU!) will have a table in a big circle in the Fieldhouse. Bring your ideas, business cards, print materials, and elevator speech. You may have up to two people at your table. Please do not bring large posters or displays.
- Speed dating: The principals will circulate around the room in search of programs that can be helpful to their students. This will be like a speed-dating event: you’ll have three minutes with each principal, to tell them what you do and find out what they need. Make a match, spark some interest, exchange cards.
- More contact: Have lunch at noon with principals you’ve connected with, and maybe with peer organizations that you might collaborate with.
- Follow-up: in the following weeks and months there will be opportunities to follow up and decide on your partnerships. There may be urgent needs to fill now, but the primary objective is to develop alliances for summer projects or perhaps during the next school year.
- About the money: Grants totaling $250,000 will be awarded to outstanding summer programs, with preference for those relating to student achievement, and we’re raising money to support more projects next fall.
We hope you will join us at this incredibly important event as we build teamwork between our schools and the community at large. We are asking that each organization bring no more than two representatives. Please share this invitation with anyone who serves – or intends to serve – children and youth in Lawrence.
Please rsvp with firstname.lastname@example.org by january 2nd.