Thank you for your interest. ECCF is currently looking for an individual to join our amazing staff:
Title: Development Officer Classification: Full Time, Exempt Department: Philanthropy Reports to: V.P. for Philanthropy
ECCF is seeking a strong fundraiser to help take this rapidly growing organization to the next level. With a major campaign on the horizon, the successful candidate will have strong relationship-building skills, solid organizational skills and a passion for Essex County MA.
This position is perfect for someone with 3 years of experience in development (well-rounded in a little bit of everything) but looking to gain leadership experience that brings professional growth. Join this wonderful community foundation environment where your work has real meaning and impact.
We celebrate our 20th anniversary in 2018 and achieve our mission of inspiring philanthropy in the 34 cities and towns in Essex County. We accomplish this by: 1) investing and managing 180 donor funds; 2) strengthening and supporting nonprofits with training and funding; 3) engaging in community leadership initiatives (bringing people together to make social change happen).
Under the direction of the V.P. for Philanthropy, the Development Officer assists in the design, implementation, and management of fundraising efforts that support the work of the Community Foundation. This position is a well-rounded development position that entails work in multiple areas of fundraising. The primary focus is placed on the annual campaign and the annual ECCF event/corporate sponsorship. This position also includes the identification, cultivation and solicitation of major gift donors and prospects with a portfolio of 50 individuals or businesses.
1. Lead all aspects of the annual campaign including donor identification, segmentation, solicitation, messaging and stewardship of annual campaign donors.
2. Assist in ECCF’s Annual Celebration of Giving event, leading sponsorship/foundation strategy and implementing the event logistics with the support of other ECCF staff and volunteer committees.
3. Act as the lead fundraiser in setting strategy and implementation of corporate and foundation support. Work in conjunction with V.P. for Philanthropy and V.P. for Grants Services in raising corporate and foundational funds for ECCF funds (including but not limited to: Greater Lawrence Summer Fund, Institute for Trustees event, Impact Essex County, NextGen Initiative).
4. Assist V.P. for Philanthropy in working with donors interested in establishing a FUND at ECCF. Act as relationship manager to Funds you establish with donors.
5. Successfully manage a 50-Donor Major Gifts Portfolio and set the strategy for each donor that will cultivate, solicit and steward donors according to ECCF’s plan and strategies. These successful gifts should impact ECCF’s operating fund, ECCF initiatives, and/or ECCF’s endowment campaign.
6. Provide reports and tracking on giving efforts to all needed staff and volunteers.
7. Act as a professional member of the staff team by offering input and insight as well as performing all other assignments and responsibilities deemed necessary by the President/CEO of ECCF.
• An energetic interest for fundraising that permeates through personality, thinking, building relationships, interacting with donors, story-telling, and soliciting gifts.
• Superior interpersonal skills with the ability to speak with diverse personalities, strong listening skills, negotiating and reasoning skills.
• Accomplished writing ability, including excellence in persuasive writing, with clear and concise use of grammar and vocabulary.
• Demonstrated ability to build relationships with volunteers and staff in a team approach that ultimately cultivates donors and leads to the accomplishment of secured gifts.
• Accountability for raising funds, as determined each year by V.P. for Philanthropy, towards the goals of the organization.
• Demonstrated ability to research, write and secure grants.
• Demonstrated use of fundraising software and “moves management” techniques that results in accurate donor records/actions AND stewardship of donors.
• Performance that achieves the high standards, integrity and values of ECCF.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred with a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in the development arena.
Effect on End Result:
• In year one, raise $100,000 (annualized) through major gifts portfolio (new and increased gifts), with increases in goals each year.
• In year one, implement the Annual Celebration of Giving event raising $175,000 in gross revenue with 475 attendees, with increases in goals each year.
• Operate an annual campaign that doubles the donor base in year one, with increases in goals each year.
How to apply: Submit your cover letter and resume, as a pdf, via email to email@example.com. Include the position title and your last name in the subject line.
The following sites are good resources to find jobs in the nonprofit sector:
- Associate Grantmakers
- Massacusetts Nonprofit Network
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Massachusetts Cultural Council's Hire Culture service
- Learn How to Become's guide to nonprofit careers
- New England Jobs
- Planned Giving Group of New England (PGGNE)
- Women in Development
- Job Hero's Nonprofit Career Resource Guide
If you are in between jobs, consider volunteering. Many nonprofits, including ECCF, welcome volunteers. See the Nonprofit Directory to find nonprofits in your town or area of interest. Your time helps a good cause, provides good networking opportunities and keeps your skills sharp!